The second in a series of posts about some of my favourite musicians and their music. Tom Petty is from Florida and has been a musician since 1970. I saw him in concert in Dublin five years ago (2012) and he was stunning live. It has been tricky narrowing this down to six songs – I could have easily chosen a different set; he has so so many terrific songs. Some of these songs also prevented me from going crazy while writing my thesis! Okay, here we go:
- Free Fallin’ (from Full Moon Fever, 1989) This was my introduction to Tom Petty and his catalogue. Still sounds amazing.
- A Thing About You (from Hard Promises, 1981) Love this track, great upbeat number.
- The Waiting (also from Hard Promises, 1981) I first heard this one on a greatest hits album which I have. I decided to track down the album in the library – and in true Tom Petty style, it blew me away. Every song on the album is a smash.
- Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid) (from Damn The Torpedoes, 1979) Apart from the greatest hits, this album is the only Tom Petty album I own. I fell in love with this song instantly. Perfect summer music.
- You Wreck Me (from Wildflowers, 1994) I came across this one when I was cataloguing all the music on my dad’s computer. I love this, I put it on my iPod straight away. The punchy beat just makes me want to dance. It’s a fantastic one to put on at a party.
- Runnin’ Down A Dream (also from Full Moon Fever, 1989) Probably his best-known song after Free Fallin’. An awesome driving song!
Stay tuned for more music soon! #ArtistInFocus #TomPetty #MyLifeInMusic